Finally, wet and cooler weather...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 05, 2000 at 00:30:26:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I see this drizzle and cooler weather as nearly the best thing we could have going on now! I wish it was a little more rain, but you have to take what you can get these days. (smile)

Now that temps seem to be coming into the "normal" range for this time of year, the bite should pick up, especially for crappie. I went out with my son, Stephen, this morning (Saturday, bank fishing) and managed to catch about 4 crappie of which one would have been a keeper, but that is better than the last trip I made by myself! This was during the drizzle and the start of the cool down. I am very optomistic at this point that the crappie will be moving up to shallower waters in the next few days and wouldn't be surprised to see a few nice slabs caught in fairly shallow waters along with the ones I expect to stay in deeper water.

Last week, a friend of mine tried under the causeway bridge on Hwy 31 in his boat and didn't do much. Caught one keeper crappie. He left there and actually found shell-crackers and decent blugills in another area using various live worms. The area was near the boat ramp at the sewage plant in Decatur, but I have no definitive info other than that. The temps were still abnormally high during this time.

The cooler the temps get and the messier the weather is, the more I get "that itch". I have never caught as many fish on "warm sunny days" as I have when it is "cold, dreary, drippy and misierable". Seems the more miserable I am due to weather, the more crappie I catch! Well, we will see if that theory holds up this year. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]