Re: Pickwick

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Thomas on February 09, 2004 at 21:49:09:

In Reply to: Re: Pickwick posted by BassTracker on February 09, 2004 at 13:55:51:

I would say that your best bet for both size and numbers would be late March to mid April. Watch the weather and don't come if weve had very heavy rains. The best fishing on the upper end is from Mcfarland Park up to the dam and the rockpiles a couple of miles down river. Try the "horseshoe" which is to the left of Jackson Island and to the right of the barge canal. There are several submerged piles of rocks and rock rows to fish here. Try a watermelon tube, junebug finesse worm, jig and pig, crawfish crankbaits. If the fish are not on the bed then try fishing the drift below the dam and drift along the rock rows a couple of miles down from Mcfarland Park on the left side. Fish the outside and then run back up river and come down the inside. I have good luck here with smoke grubs and 3" sassy shads if the water is pretty clear. Be very careful if you fish either place. You may want to stop at the end of Jackson Island and watch the other boats running up to the dam. If you get too far left(tailrace) the water is only a few feet deep and there are huge boulders just under the water. The rock row down river is at least a mile long and is partially submerged-do not try to cross in your boat! If you decide to fish the "horseshoe", trim your motor up so that just enough skeg is in the water to control your boat with the trolling motor and fish right up to the rocks separating the "horseshoe" from the "blow hole". Sometimes the smallies like to ambush minnows there(lots of big rocks underwater). The past few years I have witnessed several boats with TN decals fishing with live shad and pulling a lot of bass off the beds in this area. To my shock they are keeping everything they hook including short fish. Please practice catch and release while the big ladies do their thing so we will have something to fish for in the coming years. I may see you there but I want a report anyway! Good luck and God bless.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]