Re: crappie spawn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on February 08, 2004 at 08:42:30:

In Reply to: crappie spawn posted by Kent on February 08, 2004 at 07:57:23:

I'm not a crappie guru like Kerry or Alex, but here's my experiences with crappie - I have caught them on shallow wood (stumps, stick-ups, laydowns),1-2' deep in the Spring for 30 years. It always seems that they need to be near some type of shade/sunblocker to bed. They will also bed in weeds and grass,underneath the button bushes, next to pier posts (usually wooden)and even against seawalls if the water depth is sufficient.
I do believe that water temp and length of daylight (seasonal) affects where they will be found, but, in my opinion, the moon is the driving force behind the actual spawn. Remember this, the spawn is an event that takes place over a period of time in the spring when conditions are right. Although each fish is only spawning for about 24 hrs, not all fish spawn at the exact time. It is a 'personal' thing for each fish. Some will spawn in a week's period during one month's moon phase, others the next month's phase, etc.
When I hear people say, 'they're on the beds', I wonder if they actually think that every female fish in the lake is locked down on a bed site??? Wouldn't that make a wild photo if we could remove the water all at once? And, I don't believe God would want that to happen either, because then a flood or severe weather change would annihilate the total spawn in a single Spring. That scenario would not lend itself to the preservation of the species, right? (Of course, TVA almost does it with the water fluctuations some years...)
Once the water temp is above 55, I watch the moon phase to time my trips to the lake. Pre-spawn fish that are staging are hungry and active - they are more of a challenge than spawners. Just my .02 cents worth this morning. Kerry and you guys pitch in here. Thanks for the board.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]