Re: Water levels, crappie fishing, deja vu Spring 2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 06, 2004 at 19:59:27:

In Reply to: Re: Water levels, crappie fishing, deja vu Spring 2003 posted by baddog on February 06, 2004 at 09:18:19:

The data available online for real-time observations simply doesn't agree with an assessment of anywhere near a 3 foot drop. Until yesterday, I don't think we had nearly enough rain to cause Guntersville lake to rise to summer pool. The lake hasn't dropped below winter pool according to the data nor risen over summer pool for certain during that period.

You can check the levels anytime directly from TVA's own Lake Information Page:

http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=GUH&DataType=All&SUBMIT=View+data

Also, check the Historical lake level page on this site for historical data for several years back and the (for now) current operating guides from TVA for various lakes.

I know any of the lakes on the Tennessee river can have areas which are much higher than the readings at the dam would suggest, but that is nearly always associated with rainfall runoff from major creeks and streams or the release of water below the dams from the generators or spill gates. But, as I said above, I don't think we had enough rain upstream or downstream during that period to account for a rise and eventual fall of 3 or near 3 feet.

My apologies if I offended you with my original post. Not my intention. I figured that you didn't really look at the actual vertical rise or fall, but rather how much more shoreline was showing which could look like nearly 3 feet even if the actual vertical fall was only 6 inches depending on the slope of the bottom near the shoreline.

In any case, thanks for the posts. You have been including more detail in them lately. (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]