Re: Trout Stocking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Price on January 27, 2004 at 19:11:01:

In Reply to: Re: Trout Stocking posted by mitch on January 27, 2004 at 09:15:56:

I have seen folks fishing just prior to,during and after a release. I fish there seeral times a month as I only live about a half mile up the lake from the dam. One of my favorite spots that usually produces is parking at the pump station walking around it and there is access to the river via a small trail. Youll know if you got the right one if you see the sign just inside the bushs as you go down. It is just as you reach the corner of the fence turn left follow the fence to the rivers edge. I have fished much closer to farther down below the double bridges or Parker Bridge as it is called.Anywhere from the pump station towards the dam is a reasonably good bet as they release them right at the base of the dam right next to the public fishing pier which is another good spot if you plan to use anything other than fly rods. I am a fly fisherman myself so I wade the river. I catch fish year around and find the larger fish in the areas from the pump house back towards the highway. Alot slower but productive for bigger ones. I have seen em caught on everything from flys to live bait, I prefer a woolly bugger green with red streamer, a cinnamon ant, or emerging caddis. Rod folks have good success with the small mepps spinners and good old fashioned kernel corn. The kernel corn works really well right after the release as they are used to being farm fed pellets. Most fish released are small ten inchers but good eating fish. Filleted wrapped in foil with garlic and butter. I have caught several four plus pounders over the years and lost a few I think were a bit bigger. The stripe are good in this section when the run is on as well and I have caught many cats since I started fishing there when I was about five. My family used to own most of the property on both sides of the river from just above where the dam is to the hills on the other end of the valley. They were convinced to sell via imminent domain to alabama power before the hydro project. Maybe you could come down when we have the bassmasters the first week in Feb right above the dam at the landing area there. Should be a nice event. If you are up this way and see a white crown vic or a black ford pickup, parked along the river stop and holler and I will aid you all I can.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]