Re: Deer Crossing Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike kelley on January 25, 2004 at 23:30:46:

In Reply to: Deer Crossing Wheeler posted by Van on January 25, 2004 at 09:00:43:

I have seen deer swimming the upper Elk almost every winter since I was a kid, but it's a lot narrower up there. I did see about 10 deer swim across Smith Lake just above Richard's Marina last winter. They swam for what seemed to be 20 minutes. A couple of boats went right by them on plane and never checked up. They climbed out of the lake, shook off the water and climbed a big bluff like goats. After a swim like that, I would have had to stop and rest, eat lunch and take a nap before I could have gone another inch. I guess if dogs are chasing you or humans are pursuing you with guns, you would just do like these deer and SWIM to a safer place.

AS for the deer you saw - I have heard of people waiting on the south side of the TN River across from the Arsenal on days of their deer hunts. These guys just sit and watch for a deer to swim across to evade the hunters on the Arsenal. When they get onto the shore and shake off, the guys just drop them in their tracks. Not too sporting in my book...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]