Re: sauger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 22, 2004 at 23:37:27:

In Reply to: Re: sauger posted by Alex on January 22, 2004 at 13:06:28:

And I haven't even let you in on my REAL techniques and honey holes! LOL! (grin)

Seriously, thanks Alex. I think I have gained as much if not more from you about crappie fishing and how to read the river maps, etc., not to mention you are truly a good friend.

This thread has brought to mind a couple of things for me. For the first 2 years after I started this site I was very open and fairly specific about locations that I fished with great success. I no longer post that much detail about locations. Why? Because some of my old hotspots became everyone elses hot spots too and now aren't worth the trouble. I try to post as much information about techniques, depths and patterns as I can in my reports, but I no longer "spoon feed" folks as to exact locations, with the exception of various very well known locations. Yes, I have been criticized for this, but I will say again that there is no substitute for time on the water and learning as much as you can about your quarry and its habits.

On another note, this thread reminds me of the late Steve Pope's fishing reports. Steve was a professional guide and a good one. Although he made his living from guiding folks on Weiss lake, he was open, honest and detailed in his reports not only about techniques and lures, but also specific locations. It was not unusual for him to tell someone who was not a paying client to actually follow his boat and he would put them on fish. Because of that, his honest detailed reports, and his ever present willingness to help other people, I developed quite a lot of respect for him, even though I never met or fished with him.

No person should be rude on the water, whether it is ignoring idle speed - no wake areas or crowding another angler, but posting information here or on other sites is not the problem. The real problem is a lack of respect for other people. NOT just on the water, but in everyday life in general. Many times I have carefully and respectfully approached boats that seem to be catching the heck out of whatever type of fish and simply asked them if they would mind me joining in. In nearly all cases, I was welcomed in and advised on what, where and how to get in on the fun.

It is all in the attitude and whether or not you give the respect to other folks which you think you deserve.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]