Re: sauger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Trapper1 on January 22, 2004 at 07:57:27:

In Reply to: sauger posted by Tn-VOL on January 21, 2004 at 11:52:48:

I decided to do a little research since this post got my curiosity aroused. I contacted a professional fisheries biologist at the Tennessee Cooperative Fishery Research Unit at Tennessee Technological University. Here is what he said, "I have no idea what has happened to the sauger fishery. I have not sampled saugers in the Tennesse River since about 1998. I have written a few reports and published some articles based on our earlier work (which included sampling below all three dams on the Tennessee River in Alabama).

Please note that we are coming off one of the wettest years the Tennessee Valley has ever experienced. Our research indicated that
extremely wet years (which results in high river flows) were detrimental to sauger reproduction and recruitment in the lower Tennessee River. I
am not surprised that folks are catching few sauger this winter throughout the river.

For what it's worth, I should note that in the history of exploited fisheries (either commercial or recreational), fish populations have never diminished after harvest restrictions were imposed. Fishing may get lousy when a few bad year classes are produced and folks can't keep
undersized fish, but the populations don't suffer."

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject AND most of all gives a little hope for GOOD future sauger fishing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]