Wheeler crappie - around Decatur it is SLOW!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 15, 2004 at 20:57:14:

Over the last couple of weeks I have tried several spots from the bank and in the boat. Although I usually expect the crappie to be moving up and staging about now, it just isn't happening. At least I can't find them.

I have tried the sewage plant, Decatur flats west of the train bridge, upper and lower Flint creek, checked with other fishermen at Cotaco creek and probably another dozen or so places. The hit has been very slow in all of them!

Even the actual hit, when I can find one, has been much less than aggressive, in fact most of the hits I have gotten have been when the jig is perfectly still and it has been hard to detect the hit at all.

Those who know me also know that I usually have one or more theories about why the fish are or are not hitting. In this case, I don't have a clue. No theories, no guesses. I am flat out of reasons/excuses why I can't find the crappie where I would expect them to be by now.

As I said, I usually expect to be finding crappie starting their staging into shallower waters by now or earlier, but it just isn't happening for me. Of course, this time of year this situation could change overnight! However, I am going to give it a rest and hope someone else will sound the alarm if they start hitting better in the next few days. (sigh)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]