Re: Lead melter question?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Thomas on January 09, 2004 at 22:29:57:

In Reply to: Lead melter question? posted by sethook on January 09, 2004 at 16:39:45:

My brother and I use a "hot-one" cast iron melting pot with the element exposed inside and a spout on each side. It works great with clean lead-the best is "plumbers lead" which is almost 99% pure. Wheel weights work ok too, but you have to spoon off a lot of slag and lose some of your lead in the process. You can get plumbers lead pretty cheap at Denbo Iron and Metal in Decatur or most any scrap metal yard. NOTE: 2 keys to making perfect castings is to pour your mold a few times without hooks or wires to heat up your mold and prevent premature hardening of the lead(and really ugly castings), and I light a small candle and hold the mold under the flame-get it close enough so the candle smokes, coating the inside of the mold. This seems to insulate the lead and keep it from hardening too quick. Please wear a face shield and leather gloves when pouring lead-very hot stuff-makes a very nasty burn-especially when your hide comes off your arm along with the lead. We have a spinnerbait, arky bass jig, roundhead, and standup jig mold. I would like to trade out some jigs for something different(not and ad to buy or sell something!)Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]