Other Winter Hazards

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on January 08, 2004 at 13:30:38:

In Reply to: Fishing weather posted by Bluerod on January 08, 2004 at 11:28:31:

With frozen precipitation falling from the sky, everyone thinks about slick roads and such. However, my worst day happened on a clear day. I was the first boat in the water and the ramp was nice and dry and I never thought about the outside temps being below 32F. All I can say is that I was VERY glad to have 4-wheel-drive when leaving. The bottom of the ramp near the water was solid ice. Watch that ramp below Guntersville dam on the south side... it is really steep when the water is low. After weeks of flood gates, sometimes the water drops fast and the ramp is covered with algae. Water fluctuations from generation alone can leave a VERY slick ramp that can challenge a 2WD truck. The algae also makes it very difficult to pick up a passenger since there is no floating pier. This ramp can be hard on a glass boat unless you have a keel guard. I have seen two vehicles underwater in my lifetime below Guntersville dam. It must be a frequent event, because someone knew who to call. There was a tow-truck driver that had a wet suit and SCUBA gear that was one the scene in what seemed like a matter of minutes.

The alternative is to ride upriver 15 minutes from Ditto Landing. That would be one heckuva cold ride this time of year!!!

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]