Re: Anyone here make their own suager jigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Trapper1 on January 06, 2004 at 11:15:51:

In Reply to: Anyone here make their own suager jigs posted by sethook on January 05, 2004 at 04:35:48:

I have been making sinkers and jigs for years. I basically only make these for myself and a fishing friend. Since I'm only doing this as a hobby and for additional fishing enjoyment, I try to keep cost down. So, here is my setup: I use a Hot I melting pot and I have two basic jig molds for sauger jigs. I use a standard roundhead jig mold (Do-It or other brand)for the small (1/4 to 3/8 oz.) and a Do-It brand mold for the 3/4 and 1 oz. heads(the Do-It mold for the large heads has a half football shape to it and bulge on the neck for tying skirts or holding rubber grubs and 2 ea. 3/4 and 1 oz. cavities). The round head jig mold serves dual purpose; I can leave the barb on for using rubber grubs or I can snip it off and tie on skirts. The one cavity per size is not an issue on the small jig mold...I'm not in mass production so its plenty fast. The jig can be removed immediately after pouring. I use Eagle Claw hooks almost exclusively because they are readily available, cheap, and will sometimes bend enough to allow you to get free from snags. Painting the jig is optional but I prefer to do so. I use flo. orange, flo. pink, or chartreuse exclusively. And I prefer the "bake on" paints over the vinyl. These paints take a little trial and error to use but they are the best. If you go this route let me know and I'll give you a few tips. Next is the skirt. Rubber grubs are easiest I suppose but I prefer fur type skirts. I use craft fur and either a waxed nylon or kevlar thread to tie it with. I also use a little glue here to secure everything(Ferrul-tite arrow fletching cement works good....I build arrows too so it is always handy). And last of all is the stinger hook. Snaps aren't necessary. Just buy some #8 size treble hooks and tie them directly from the jig eye to the stinger hook with the lb. test line of your preference. You'll also need a tying vise to hold the jig while you tie on the skirt and a bobbin(I think that is what it is called) to hold the tie thread and keep it tight. Most all this can be purchased locally at North Alabama Outdoors or at Bass Pro. I think North Alabama Outdoors is still open and the folks there can guide you along(Bernie I believe is the guy you want to talk to). As for the lead, tire weights are readily available. Also check flea markets, yard sales, junk yards, etc.

Good luck!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]