Re: Anyone here make their own suager jigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on January 05, 2004 at 06:58:09:

In Reply to: Anyone here make their own suager jigs posted by sethook on January 05, 2004 at 04:35:48:

I am not sure what a sauger jig looks like, but if you are talking about pouring lead head jigs it is very easy and can save you some money. It even helps if you have a friend or two that would like to share in the expense of the pot and moulds. We pour more that 2000 jigs per year and split between 4 people.

We pour horsehead jigs,ball crappie jigs,weedless crappie jigs,arkie bass jigs, spinner baits and muzzleoader bullets. Our cost to pour a horeshead jig is 12 cents, A crappie jigs 3 cents to pour,A bass jig 16 cents. Of course dressing adds to the cost but as you can see you can save quite a bit of money for a lead jig.

You will need a melting pot. I use a Lee 20 lb pot that pours from the bottom. Lyman also has a good one that pours from the bottom but it can be pricey.

I get my lead from a local tire store from old wheel weights.

Do-it has an extensive selection of moulds.

You can find all kinds of hooks from many suppliers but research your prices. I get crappie hooks by the 1000 for $30-$32. Email me if you are interested in the company where I purchase my materials.

Last but not least follow all instructions from the moulds and pot on ways to reduce lead exposure.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]