Frozen boat ramp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Deputyking on December 29, 2003 at 13:40:32:

I went fishing Sat morning to try to catch a few crappie since I haven't got to go lately. I met my brother-in-law at the Dry creek boat ramp (sewer gas plant) at 6 am and was getting the boat ready to launch when he arrived. Several boats had already launched earlier before I got there and I was trying to get launched before any more boats arrived. I got in the boat and told Mike to back the truck up for me to launch the boat. I was looking back toward the water watching to know when it was in deep enough to crank the engine. I noticed that Mike was backing up rather fast and thought he was trying to shoot the boat off the trailer. When I looked back around toward the truck I realized what was going on. The Suburban was sliding backwards and sideways and nothing that Mike could do would slow it down. It was on ice that had frozen from the water off the earlier boat trailers. Lucky for us that when the wheels got to the water edge the ice was gone. This ramp is steep and from now on I will always check for ice before getting on the ramp. I never was concerned about pulling out because it is a 4 wheel drive but that will not stop it from sliding on ice. This could have been a very bad day for me. We caught only 4 small crappies. I don't know why they were not bitting. I saw a lot on the graph but they just would not bite. We tried minnows and every color jig they make but still no luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]