Re: crappie fishing sun.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 12, 2003 at 20:20:34:

In Reply to: crappie fishing sun. posted by Kent on December 12, 2003 at 17:58:30:

Hey Kent,

Haven't been to the big G in several days and I can't tell you if they are still hitting good under the Browns Creek bridge, but...

Yes, there are ramps at either end of the Hwy 69 causeway. Take your pick. Either one is close enough to use your trolling motor, provided that it has enough #thrust to move your boat reasonably and you have good fully charged batteries. Well, actually, you should be able to paddle out to the bridge and back! (grin)

The only advice I have is to get there EARLY! This year, as in the past years, the hit is usually best just after daylight, but you may have to get there much earlier to get a good spot. I find my best fishing at either end of the bridge. Never have done that well in the middle of the bridge. Current, or at least movement of the water under the bridge seems to be essential in making the fish "stack up" and easier to catch.

If the pilings under the bridge are covered up, try the eddies created by current flow under the bridge. I usually have my best luck when the current is flowing OUT of Browns Creek and fishing the "river" side of the causeway at either end of the bridge.

One more thing, Please be courteous to the bank fishermen. Especially if they are already fishing a spot. Too many times I see boaters cut off bank fishermen, even though the bank fishermen were there first. My rule of thumb is that the man in the boat has the advantage of movement anywhere on the river. The man on the bank doesn't have that advantage. There are very few good spots to fish from the bank anywhere on the lake compared to the numerous likely spots a boater can reach.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]