Re: Crappie Formula?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 26, 2003 at 18:11:33:

In Reply to: Crappie Formula? posted by BOB D on November 26, 2003 at 10:21:00:

Hey Bob,

I don't usually measure my crappie unless there is a question about legal length and since I have measured literally hundreds of 9-11 inch crappie, I have a good eye for what is a legal 9 inch crappie. Also, since those fish that I would have to measure to be sure they are legal are, IMO, too small to keep, I rarely measure them anymore. I measure the size of crappie by weight and we use a digital scale. Actually, we don't weigh many in the 3/4 to 1-1/4 pound range anymore since we have weighed enough to know without the scales. However, the larger ones, over 1.5 pounds become more difficult to estimate and we usually weigh them when we can catch them! (smile)

As to your question about a formula to estimate crappie weight by length? I really don't know a good formula to do that like they have for bass. As for estimates of weight by length, well, this is just a guess:

9 -10 inches 1/2 pound or less give or take

10.5 -12 inches 3/4 to possibly one pound

12 inches and up from 3/4 to one pound and up

These are just guesses as I rarely measure the length of the larger crappie I catch. Also, in general, a white crappie will weigh less than a black crappie of the same length, at least up to the 1 to 1.5 pound range. I simply don't catch that many larger white or black crappie to say that theory holds water with larger fish. However, white crappie tend to grow longer faster in the early stages and tend to be slimmer. Black crappie tend to be "chunkier" or thicker for lack of better words and tend to be meatier and heavier, at least at the earlier stages.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]