Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on November 24, 2003 at 07:02:09:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE posted by sammy on November 21, 2003 at 21:19:25:

Sammy, Kerry stated I have a BIG fish fry every fall and feed about 60 people. As far as considering turning back some, I have!

You mention that years ago the crappie population was "explosive" but not any longer! Well, I have kept records for 25 years and Guntersville has a tremendous crappie population. One reason I think crappie slowed down back in the late 70's and early 80's was the spraying of millfoil. When the grass was killed back the crappie fishing declined. You saw this over in the Decatur also.

If you are having trouble finding crappie, all I can say is spend some time on the water. Trust me, Guntersville has a tremendous crappie population.

Now on the other hand, it would not bother me at all to see the state of Alabama reduce the legal limit on crappie to maybe 15. I also would like to see them raise the size to 10 inches.

I think if the spraying of millfoil stays the same as it is now, we should always have a good population of crappie. Good luck and wear those life jackets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]