Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 22, 2003 at 23:45:53:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE posted by Crappie King on November 22, 2003 at 23:04:49:

I saw several crappie over 3 pounds back in 1991 after the floods of Dec. 1990 and Feb. 1991. It was at the pumps north of Decatur. I have never seen, before or since, the numbers of huge crappie caught in numbers as I did during that time. The water had broken the earth around one side of the pumps and was running around them. The water was as red as the clay in the fields in the surrounding areas, but I saw some of the best crappie I have ever seen in my life and a lot of them. I personally caught one that weighed in at 3.25 pounds. My lifetime personal best and it was a white crappie.

I won't go into all the reasons why I think they are not in that area anymore, but one is that the millfoil east of the Hwy31 causeway died out shortly after that year and they also started closing off access to the fish via the pumphouse for about 12 years during the critical time when they were trying to get back into White (White's?) and adjacent areas for the spring spawn. Kill the habitat and/or cut off access to historical spawning areas and you end up with no crappie. A clear case of bad management of resources even if they didn't spray the millfoil east of the causeway. Wheeler Wildlife refuge is notorious for such bad decisions. The refuge folks put absolutely no thought into how their actions will affect the fish or other aquatic life. One track, tunnel vision minded people... IMO.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]