Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 22, 2003 at 20:56:59:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville CRAPPIE posted by sammy on November 22, 2003 at 20:16:00:

Sammy,

Not to say that you dad or grandfather weren't being honest, but I still hear about catches of 3 and 4 pound crappie from a few folks. Once I was lucky enough to actually see one of these stringers of "3 to 4 pound" crappie. They were without a doubt good fish, but the biggest one was probably about 2.5 pounds.

Don't forget that folks tend to exaggerate or at least over-estimate fish size, especially with crappie. I see it all the time today and doubt that it was any different back then. I was guilty of over-estimating my crappie in my early crappie fishing days, but after weighing literally hundreds, I am very good at estimating. (smile)

I am at least as concerned as you about the future of our fisheries. However, I have talked to several of the DCNR biologists and asked about the reasons for the current limits. Although I disagree with the 9 inch limit on crappie (should be 10 inches), I don't think the creel limit of 30 is a problem. Contact Keith Floyd or any DCNR biologist and talk with them. Express your concerns and ask them for the reasoning behind the current regulations. Believe it or not, these folks actually do know a thing or two about what is going on with our fisheries.

As for being accused of gluttony? Well, if you read my reply to your first message, I hope you will change your mind about that. If not, no hard feelings, but we will simply have to agree to disagree on that point. (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]