Re: Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Speck on November 16, 2003 at 23:51:51:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville crappie posted by slabby on November 15, 2003 at 16:45:04:

Slabby, I have friends that don't own a jig and catch all their Crappie on minnows and I know friends that catch them all on jigs and never bought a minnow. I personally think to be a well rounded and best prepared fisherman you must take and use both. There are circumstances that will make each the pick hit of the day. If scouting new unknown waters I personally use a jig to start off. I like the new "Crappie Sliders" rigged weedless. Depending on the water depth, clarity, type structure I will use either a 1/16 ounce for shallow and a 1/8 ounce for deeper water, more wind etc. You will never go wrong with chartreuse or pearly white colors. One of those will nearly always get you bit and usually both will. I like starting off with jigs because I can cover alot more water faster than I can with minnows. If there are 2 of you in the boat I like to get one going with jigs the other with minnows and that will get you up and running with the bite pretty quick. There are conditions where you can use 1/64 and 1/32 ounce jigs with great success. When Crappies are deep I like to use the double Ky Lake rig tight line over brush piles and stake beds. This is also good for suspended fish in deeper water. Good Luck to you, Speck

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]