Re: Thanks...and a question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 20, 2003 at 00:23:00:

In Reply to: Thanks...and a question posted by Rockfish on October 19, 2003 at 16:56:59:

My best bad advise is to go when it is just getting short sleeve weather at noon, and still cool in the morning. Like that really helps!!! February is rare, but I have killed them first week of February. Most years, it is usually March. Start the first week of March (if it is getting warm) and go at least once every week when the current is right. Water temps in the low to mid 60's is my best guess. I am a firm believer in the first bite just after the turbines kick on after day break. Weekdays seem to be more cooperative. It lasts several weeks, probably more than a month, but you have to be there on the right day sometimes. The morning and afternoon topwater bite is strong towards the end into April and May. I have also caught some good 2 lb. white bass into May. Mid march for big hybrids (8+ lb) seems to be the average time.

Spring floods seems to have a HUGE influence that people tend to forget. I have seen entire striper runs washed away in wet and muddy late winter/spring weather patterns. The wind can also ruin your day if you don't have the right boat. The generation scheme can often ruin your day from the bank. I have been there and start killing them on the bank, when something changes, and only the boats are landing them on the outter edges of the current.

Check the posts in the spring... I will be around!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]