TN River Smallmouth Challenge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 18, 2003 at 23:00:22:

Well, my virginty is gone. I set out in quest of a single smallmouth... my first day of a single goal to catch a single fish. A Biblical passage about falling short of the glory comes to mind... actually glad I don't remember it enough for a quote. However, I will admit that I did fall short of the glory. But, just shy.

I met a fine gentleman on the NAFF from central Florida that was in-town working and looking for someone to fish with. Unfortunately for him, he took my up on my offer. Due to being from central Florida, argueably the LM capital of the world, he thought smallies would be a different look at things. I don't know if he suggested it, or if I just brought it up for self abuse.

We caught, as I recall, 3 largemouth, 1 spot, 1 bluegill, 1 catfish, and 1 drum. When I realized this guy had never touched a smallmouth, I was determined to make it happen. After 9 hours or so, with a lake change, I thought one more run dowriver to the next bluff couldn't hurt. He had his back turned, and never realized what had happened, when the elusive brown fish rolled up on me. With one flop, it was gone before he ever even got a look. Truly, that one pound fish that got away, reaffirmed my passion for fishing.

We fish Wheeler's Second Creek and river channel. Very little current on the channel. Second Creek seemed crystal clear. We went to Pickwick to check things out where TVA posted an all day discharge. Fished the tairace where I realized that is one dangerous place! We hit something while idling to the dam, just about got the anchor hung, and did not see much action to speak of. That is some shallow water!! Forget the TVA ramp and go to McFarland Park... unless you have a flat bottom or keel guard that you like to use.

All-in-all, all I can say is, what a beautiful body of waters!! Considering all the hazards and large cruisers, I think Lake Wilson (below Wheeler dam) is in my future when the brown fish fever rises to the surface again. I have comfortably stripe fished there in the past. Pickwick was very congested and the dam hazards were confusing.

Good luck,
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]