Re: Too much water below G 'ville Dam?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 18, 2003 at 22:24:27:

In Reply to: Too much water below G 'ville Dam? posted by rockfish on October 18, 2003 at 20:46:03:

Tough question. I often enter input here without a direct answer to the question in hopes that it might at least help others if not the poster. Take it for what it cost you if you wish.

Too much? Well, first of all, with a post name like rockfish, I assume you are only interested in stripe. I have yet to see a steady pattern with stipers below any dam this fall. Fall is tough, spring is easy. We caught one small salt last week and I think it was a fluke.

I know a guy that once caught a 5-6 pound smallmouth below G-dam standing at the TOP of the boat ramp. The river was high and muddy and rolling after an ice storm melt. My guess is that the water must have been 200k+ CFS with every flood gate open. Since then, I think anything is "fishable." Will you catch a lot of fish on the wall regardless of CFS tomorrow... I doubt it. Will you catch a fish? Maybe. Things have not been red hot, but tomorrow might be the day it starts. After todays blue bird sky, I doubt it. But what the heck do I know? Some of the best days in the tailrace for me have been when no one else had heard about it or expected it. However, that is usually in the spring. Based on AVERAGE flow with 7 hours not discharging, I guess the water will be smoking at some point! I am not sure which turbines they will be running which has a large influence on the wall. I am not sure if any maintenance is underway on certain turbines. Who knows how much water will be flowing initially and how much will be flowing later... well, I guess the TVA engineers. I have yet to figure out the TVA post related to AVERAGE flow.

The weather should be great so just get out and enjoy yourself. Even a bad day of fishing is good for the soul sometimes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]