Guntersville crappie and Florida pier fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 17, 2003 at 15:58:10:

For those of you who are waiting for a report about the Guntersville bridges and crappie before you go, well, stop waiting!

This morning I tried the Browns Creek (Hwy 69) bridge and caught a few (about 10), but I have been told that they have been catching them on and off since as far back as August!!! Some days are better than others and you still have to get there REALLY early to get a good spot. I caught all of mine on an Arkansas shiner bass assassin, but others were using white hal-flys. Plenty of boats under the bridge also, so get there early for those spots too!

Made a "poor man's" trip to Pensacola wednesday with a good friend, Dwight. We fished the new gulf side pier from about 4:30am until about 4:30pm and drove back home. Nice sized spanish mackerel and a few kings were hitting on cigar minnows and hardtails. Very little bait was around the pier, but a few hardtails could be caught from time to time for live bait. Some bluefish were about mid pier and the redfish are still running, but all that were caught that day were too big to keep. Almost forgot that there were several tarpon that swam by, but nobody connected with them.

I didn't catch any mackerel as I was stubborn with my Gotcha plugs and the mackerel just didn't want to hit artificial, but Dwight brought home a 5 and 6 pound spanish and hooked a king about 20-40 lbs (guessing 'cause I didn't see it) and lost it. Never try to hoss in a big fish! Live or frozen bait was the ticket. We met a fine fellow on the pier, John Collins, who not only gave us plenty of help and hints, but also let us use some of his equipment and plenty of bait from his cooler. John seemed to be a very fine fellow and he was a big part of what made our trip. If you read this John, the offer to come up and do some crappie fishing still stands!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]