Re: metal boats?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 15, 2003 at 14:00:39:

In Reply to: Re: metal boats? posted by Rob G on October 15, 2003 at 08:09:44:

Rob - Does the VMag model have the slick glossy paint? Is it a bass boat with casting decks and rod locker or a utility boat? I fought the same battle last year and was about to settle on a Triton 1860 with the Honda 90. I then ran across a used 2001 Triton SF18 fish-n-ski that had been used only a few times and was like new for not much more money @$14,900 ($20K for a new one). The SF model is not for everyone, but is good for the family trips and early spring days when it is cold and/or choppy water is spraying over the boat. However, it has carpet and lots of vinyl and the fiberglass gelcoat to maintain. I can't believe the difference in performance between various boat manufacturers.

Every time I see people flocking to the bridges or tying up the the dam, I wish I had my old aluminum boat to bang around in. My problem is that I barely use 1 boat enough to keep the carbs cleaned out. The extra weight of the glass is the deal when the water is choppy, but not fun to tow, buy gas to push it around, or when I am running ashore trying to get my brother's lures free from snags (never happens to me.. hehe).

I think y'all are talking about a different class of aluminums than me. The high power models have an actual pad molded into the frame that provides a much better ride over a utility-style boat. I am thinking that a glass boat will last a long time and is also low maintenance if you don't care how it looks. I figured the paint itself would oxidize on aluminum (if a glossy slick finish), similar to a car, but I don't know enough about it. However, I speculate that it can't be as bad as the glass gelcoat!

I guess I am stuck with the family model for now. The big deep livewell with divider is awesome, and ample storage for equipment, with a sacrifice in rod storage and casting decks. I believe the floor compartment has 5 or 6 tubes that seven foot rods fit in, but have to be bent while inserting. I would focus on many of the boat's features and creature comforts and stick with a top of the line manufacturer. Also, if you buy used, try to get a newer boat with hydraulic steering or no-feedback steering. I learned that a boat with a torque problem is bad news with 2000 and older steering systems. I am sure every manufacturer has bad models, but the Triton is superior over the Skeeter FS model in every department! I still miss my ol' 16' G3 with 50 Yamaha when it is crappie and stripe season... except when the wind blows, which is often in the spring!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]