Re: Knots to Know

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 12, 2003 at 21:37:20:

In Reply to: Knots to Know posted by Tom on October 12, 2003 at 20:19:15:

Not bad, but I noticed that they call their "double loop" knot the "trilene" knot. As long as I have been fishing and tying mono line onto hooks and jigs, this animation is not the Trilene knot.

The only difference is the Trilene knot does not create the double loop, only a single loop. The rest is the same, but the single loop method allows you to tighten the knot by pulling on the reel side line instead of the end of the line. With a little practice, this allows you to pull the knot tight while keeping the end piece of the line very short. Also, when using some smaller hooks/jigs depending on line size, it would be nearly impossible to use the double loop method as the eye of the hook simply won't let the line go through it more than twice.

Using the single loop "Trilene" method I have been able to tie on a new jig in as few as 10 or 15 seconds and I don't think there is any difference in retention of line strength compared to the double loop method. The single loop knot, when tied onto a hook eye, will not come loose. The line will break first. However, I have lost lures using this knot if I am using a spinnerbait like a beetlespin... IF the loop of the metal "spring" is not tight itself. If the metal wires are separated at all in this loop, the knot will often fail.

$0.02 worth... (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: