Decatur crappie fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 04, 2003 at 22:21:29:

My son, Stephen, and I tried for a few today from the bank. We had a little luck and managed 5 decent keepers with the largest going slightly over a pound. We also caught several non-keepers and about 4 that were legal, but not really keepers.

Best color seemed to be chartreuse or lime-treuse bass assassins. The fish were in 6 to 8 feet of water and hit at about 4-5 feet deep fishing the jigs under a cork. The hit was quick when we first started, but slacked off just as quickly.

In any case, I was very happy to be fishing with my 11 year old son. He seems to be getting into fishing more these days and I hope that trend continues! BTW, he caught 2 of the 5 that we kept and caught the first fish of the day.

Since I still have crappie filets in the freezer from last season, we took those 5 to a good friend who has several grand children who LOVE to eat fish. (grin) All the rest were returned to the water immediately. Almost forgot, we caught 2 that were good keepers, but had some sort of growth on the fins that almost looks like white bubbles or crystals. I don't really know how to describe it, but I am sure anyone else who crappie fishes on Wheeler has seen it. Don't know about eustrongylides (little red worms) as I didn't clean the fish we kept.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]