Re: gar fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Kelley on October 02, 2003 at 22:23:24:

In Reply to: Re: gar fishing posted by Kerry Grissett on October 02, 2003 at 20:41:22:

OK, Kerry. Here's my STORY ABOUT GAR-
In 1989 when I was fishing a BASS Pro-Am at Sam Rayburn Lake in Texas. I was leading the Am side on the last day and was paired with Fish Fishburne. We were having a tough day and it was HOT. He wasn't in contention for any cash, so we basically rode around trying to catch my limit to preserve my lead. At about noon I had only 2 keepers in the boat, both barely measuring 12".
We motored into a slough and saw some action in the rear. As we trolled in, we saw the water black with HUGE gar, so big they looked like prehistoric creatures. They must have been 4-6 feet long and weighed in the 60-100lb range. They were spawning in that cove and were thicker than flies on roadkill. Fishburne gets out a crankbait and proceeds to remove the treble hooks so he can SNAG these gar! We stopped bass fishing and for almost an hour and a half we SNAGGED GAR! at least we tried. They would break our lines they were so huge. I finally begged him to stop and let me go back to bassin'.
Another note - As we idled out of that pocket, two TX Game and Fish Officers stopped us and checked our fishing license. I had my nonresident license and guess what? FISHBURNE HAD NONE. After taking 20 minutes to write him a ticket, we left and I was able to catch one more bass and go to weigh-in. I won by a mere 3 ounces - If I had let Fish keep on snaggin' gar I would have not won that tournament!
PS - I told that story to Ray Scott at weigh-in and it is documented on film and in newspaper clippings. NO LIE!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]