Re: gar fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 02, 2003 at 20:41:22:

In Reply to: gar fishing posted by jd on October 02, 2003 at 14:16:14:

When I was a kid (my late teens/early 20's) we used braided red nylon rope. We cut about 6 to 8 inches of rope, folded and tied it together with a rubber band. Tied the mono line to the middle bend of the rope. No weight, so the rig stayed near the top of the water.

The long nose gar were very thick, I think were in a spawning pattern. They would bite the rope and hang on long enough to net them while wading. We didn't have waders, just blue jeans and Converse sneakers. The place was the stream that comes out just downstream from the new Patton Island bridge below Wilson. I don't think the gar gather there like they did back then, but then again I don't live there anymore and don't fish it like I did when I was younger. BTW, it was common back then to catch them using this method ranging from 20 - 35 pounds. The Alabama state record for Longnose gar is 32 pounds 14 oz back in 1985 from Jordan reservoir. I am positive that we could have shattered that record if we had only had a clue back then.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]