gar fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 02, 2003 at 14:16:14:

In Reply to: Re: record gator gar caught on guntersville posted by Steve Ball on October 02, 2003 at 10:46:48:

I got the e-mail too and immediately dismissed it as a hoax. I confirmed my suspicion with my "Fishes of Alabama and the Mobile Basin" book. That is a great reference book!

As for catching local gar, here's what you do... about Late April or Early May, get yourself a spinning reel and a 1/8 ounce jig. 8 lb. test line, or 6 if you are feeling like a real sportsman, and cast into the surfacing schools of longnose gar below the TVA dams. At least I know they stack up big time every spring below G-ville dam. Some of those critters are probably over 4 feet long and 20 pounds. They will bump into your line and get snagged, and you will think it is a monster gar with the light tackle. If you hook one in the tail, hold on! I have had them jump completely out of the water which is quite a site to see. The real test is to retrieve your jig without breaking your line.

I have always heard that they will bite yarn and get it hung in their teeth. I never went to that extreme. It might not be an alligator gar, but it is usually a cheap and easy trip.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]