Re: TN River Smallies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on September 30, 2003 at 07:40:25:

In Reply to: TN River Smallies posted by jd on September 29, 2003 at 23:33:52:

JD, if you want to just go out and have a good chance at catching smallmouth, here is my recomendation. I would concentrate on wheeler or pickwick. I would go and buy a pound of BIG tuffy minnows and use 6lb test and a 1/16 oz crappie jig i.e., tube jig, feather jig. Colors would be smoke, chartruse and maybe red and brown. Tip the jig with a tuffy minnow and fish bluff walls and hold on! Make sure you check TVA operating schedule to see if current will be present. If you decided to go to Pickwick be careful. I would go down river from Mcfarlin and fish the old barge cannal. Another good area on Pickwick is right accross from the ramp at Mcfarlin. Start at the bridge on the south side and fish the entire length of bluffs. Stay about 20 ft from shore and cast the minnow jig combo at the shoreline. Hold on! If the current is fast, you might have to add a piece of split shot about 12 inches above the jig. A good piece of advise is retie after avery fish and makew sure your drag is set! Good luck and be careful. If you fish Wheeler, put in at first creek and go out to main river. Fish the left side bluffs all the way to camp ground. Do not waste any time in the slues and fish main river bluffs. Concentrate on the little points in this area!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]