Re: Arrogant Pro attitudes and lack of ethics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe J. on September 29, 2003 at 20:09:35:

In Reply to: Re: Arrogant Pro attitudes and lack of ethics posted by slabby on September 29, 2003 at 19:37:39:

Amen, slabby. If I'm on Guntersville during a big T (not a club level), I would probably defer the spot I'm fishing to a pro if he asked nicely, but I would stay close to the hole to watch how he fished it and how he did. I have to agree with others that say if you move off your spot, its fair for someone else to fish it (although it might not be "nice"...I believe the angler in question said he also fished the area in practice). That's kinda like getting upset because someone got "your" pew at church when you weren't sitting there.

There's something else that bothers me, as long as we're talking about big time tournament bass fishing. The stories coming out of last 2 major tournaments on Wheeler, in the space of 3 months, have been dominated not by the angling, but by complaints of unethical actions. These type stories and becoming more and more commonplace. I've been following BASS tournaments results and stories for 20+ years, and it used to be the angling stories dominated, and usually someone mentioned a competitor that yielded his spot to a front runner as a show of sportsmanship, or some other story of an angler selflessly helping out a competitor in need of help. Those anglers seemed to be men of character, someone you or your child could look up to. Slowly but perceptibly, the opposite trend is emerging (recognizing that most of the guys still are good guys).It just bothers me that now the major story now doesn't focus on how the leaders caught their fish and the drama associated with that, but rather centers on complaints of unethical actions. The quest for money is unmasking some darker sides of human behavior.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]