Arrogant Pro attitudes and lack of ethics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 28, 2003 at 23:07:56:

I just read a message thread on BFHP that reinforces my opinion (from personal experience and encounters on the water) that the "pros" have a real bad case of arrogance on the water. In other words, get out of our way! We are pros and fishing for MONEY, so we OWN the lake!

Not only does it reinforce my opinion, but because of statements of opinion made by some local "pros", I have lost nearly all respect for them for their inability to see that this attitude is ethically wrong on all counts. Oh, I guess the money involved takes ethics out of the equation? Wrong!

You will have to read the message thread yourself to understand what I am talking about. Some people will say that you and I don't know the whole story. That may be true, but I know what Tim Horton said that was published on BassFan.com and at least a couple of other fishing web sites.

Bottom line is, if you crank up and move off of a spot, do you still have claim to it? We are not talking about using your trolling motor to move 50 or 100 feet, but cranking your outboard and moving about 1/4 of a mile or more. And does the answer to that question change if you are fishing a tournament? IMHO, no and no.

Read the thread: http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/other_topics/T32176.htm

The original post isn't what matters, but the responses show what I am talking about. Thankfully, there are several replies in the thread that agree with me. I was not surprised, but was saddened to see a couple of folks from the North Alabama area who still couldn't see the real problem with the "pro" attitude and the larger underlying ethical issue.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]