Re: Gator Sighting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 22, 2003 at 18:39:05:

In Reply to: Re: Gator Sighting posted by David Price on September 22, 2003 at 13:20:44:

Uh Hmmm...

If you had a density of 85 to 120 gators "per acre", you could barely walk a few feet in any direction without tripping over one. Perhaps you meant to say "per square mile"?

As for the gators around here, there has been a documented population around the Mooresville area since at least around 1900. There have also been gators in Blackwell swamp and on Redstone arsenal for years maybe dating back as far as the ones near Mooresville. Sometime in the 1970's, I think, some gators were brought up from Lousiana and released in at least one of those areas. I am told that there was an effort made to recapture these gators, but it was not successful. I am not sure why those gators were brought in, but I have been told a wide variety of reasons by many different people. The most popular theory is that they were brought in to control the beaver population in the area, but I seriously doubt that was the real reason. I won't go into all the other things people have told me about it as I believe it to all be speculation and not fact.

In any case, yes, these are alligators we are spotting and yes, some of them are 12 feet and up. I personally saw one about 10 years ago behind Mooresville that was every bit of 16 feet long, although the majority of the gators I have seen range from 3 feet to 8 feet long.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]