Aerial photo of Sipsey Fork with notes, from David Price

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 14, 2003 at 17:01:25:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse/pics/sipseyfork.jpg

The lavender spots are easy access areas with trails leading down to the water. Those that have fished here before can attest to the very steep terrain and limited access to the river only in certain areas.

The public access pier at the generating plant is used by regular rod and reel fishermen and is where the trout stocking takes place via a long PVC tube. Fishing at night there is good for many fish varieties including trout bass etc. Nice place with no restroom though. Use heavier than normal line as the pier is a vertical drop of anywhere from ten to twenty feet depending on water levels and fish have to be lifted vertically unless you have a twenty foot dip net lol.

Section 1 of the river is that which is immediately below the dam and is generally between the pumping station and the dam itself. There is a dirt road that runs from the pumping station to the dam in my opinion and experience this is where the best fishing for trout is. There is very limited access down to the river in this section but when you get down to the river itself you can walk the bank almost from the pumping station to the dam. Its getting to the water that's the trick. The best spots to enter are just above the pumping station and again about a hundred yards up the dirt road right past the large v notch in the bank. I like to fly fish this section for trout and it seems to produce well very early in the morning. I use a 2x setup as I have caught several large fish of other species here as well. I use cinnamon ants and several varieties of woolly buggers an caddis and nymphs. If you don't fly fish try a good old time rod and reel with salmon eggs, kernel corn or rooster tails with spinners. Although I catch more fish in this section it does not produce the larger trout for me.

Section 2 is immediately from the pump house to Parkers Branch. The trout fishing is slower here but if stripes and other fish is your quarry it is a nice stretch to fish. We have used gizzard shad to pull nice catfish out of this section. My sons fish here for stripe and catch nice sized ones on large shad. The river in this section has many "pot holes" of deeper water and hold cats and stripes a lot better than section one which is of shallower depth and has more access to wading. I have caught many nice trout in this section fishing near where Parker Branch enters from under the road.

Section 3 runs from Parkers Branch to the Parker bridges. It is very similar to section two in make up shallowing areas with several deeper pools that hold cats and stripes. This section includes where Mill Creek enters the Sipsey Fork. This is the best spot for stripe and cats in my opinion. When it has been raining and the river becomes stained from Mill Creek if you get in the transition area just above where the creek enters you will have better chances at stripes as they seem to concentrate there looking for bait that is washed out of the small creek. Mill Creek is small and when it rains it goes from around 1-5 ft deep in most places to ten ft or more the entire length and it dumps all manner of forage into the river. If you get permission to access the river below Parkers bridges this is the time to catch large flatheads channels and stripe bass.

Everything below the Parkers Bridges is held by private property owners and is accessible by land owner permission. I have never known of access being denied. The largest trout I have caught to date came from almost under the bridges. I caught a 7lb 3ouncer with a mepps spinner with white feathers there while fishing for blue gills and bass.

I know this is a lot of info but condense it as well as you'd like to make it more understandable. I wish that I could be more helpful but I am better at doing than describing lol. If you have any questions (which actually may get you the info that doesn't immediately come to mind but may be pertinent) feel free to ask away.

YFIS (your friend in sport)
David Price

Thanks David!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: