Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

[Return to NAFF message board] [Return to Naff Home Page]

Here is a brief explanation of some of the questions you may have about the NAFF message board.

Please DO NOT use ALL CAPS when posting messages!  It is hard to read and considered to be YELLING at the top of your lungs!!!  Type your message using standard capitalization or none at all.

Please note that duplicate posts will be deleted.  All of them.  Please click the Post Message button ONLY once or your message may be entirely deleted.

What is the "mission" of the NAFF

Please see the NAFF Mission Statement

[Back to top]

Am I anonymous when I post here?

Yes and no.

If you are a legitimate reader/poster and not a spammer or otherwise trying to "hack" this website, then the webmaster and ISP (www.hiwaay.net) have no business or inclination to find out who you are.

However, if you spam or otherwise attempt to disrupt this website or its users, you WILL be tracked and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the current law.  All users are tracked to a certain extent via the hit counter.  Just click on it to see exactly what I see from them. (See bottom of page)  The webmaster is notified of each and every post along with the IP address of the poster.

The NAFF is not a commercial site and does not share any info, other than the messages left by readers on the NAFF message board itself.  Subscribers to the NAFF via Email are not posted to any other mailing list and the list generated by subscribers to the NAFF is used SOLELY for the purpose of letting readers easily keep up to date with the posts on the NAFF. Period!

[Back to top]

How should I format my follow-up message?

The "form" box for the body of your message text allows you to continue your typing even when you reach the "limit" of the box.
This is to say, just keep on typing.  It will "wrap" the text when it gets to its limit.  To start a new paragraph, simply hit the enter key twice.  The script takes care of the formatting.  If you "cut and paste" into the form box for the body of your message, it may not end up looking exactly as you think it will.  Sometimes when doing "cut and paste" there are more spaces saved than are actually seen.

[Back to top]

Can I put html tags anywhere in my posts?

No. You can not use HTML tags in any field except body of the message. The maintainer of the script has the option of allowing or disallowing any HTML in the Message part of your posting.  If you want to list one or more links within the body of a message you must simply use this format:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse

or

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse/wwwboard/wwwboard.htm

The above are just examples of proper formatting.

These links WILL show up in the message when posted, but will not be clickable links.  The reader will have to cut and paste them in order to connect to the sites.

NOTE:  Links like the above WILL show up as clickable links for subscribers to the NAFF via Email.
             The linking option below does not.

If you want to post ONE clickable link, you must use the optional spaces at the end of the message body form.  Simply place the url address here in the form http://your.link.com and tab to the next field to give your link a name.

[Back to top]

Why didn't my post show up?

Please note that duplicate posts will be deleted.  All of them.  Please click the Post Message button ONLY once or your message may be entirely deleted.

Your post most likely did not show up, because your browser did not reload the page, it simply pulled it out of cache. Please reload your browser and it should then appear.  To reload a page simply use the RELOAD button of your browser or press CTRL+R.  In some cases you may have to press the RELOAD button while holding down the SHIFT key in order to force a server reload so that your browser does not once again pull the page out of your system's memory cache.

[Back to top]

Where can I get the scripts for this program?

The scripts are written in Perl and created by Matt Wright. They are free to anyone who wishes to use them and you can get them as well as other scripts at: http://worldwidemart.com/scripts/. Enjoy!

[Back to top]

What does " NAFF via Email" mean?  How much does it cost?

Each time a message is entered in the NAFF, you will receive email notification.  The notification will have the body of the message as posted and a link at the bottom to go directly to that message.  If the poster includes an email address, then that will be the reply-to address of the message.   If the message contains an image or link, you will have to go to the message on the NAFF itself to view these, although links included in the body of the message such as http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse will appear as clickable links in most mail programs.

This service is intended to allow you to keep up to date with the NEW messages on the NAFF easily.  It is a free service!

I only ask that you make sure you enter your correct email address!!!

[Back to top]

[Back to top] [Return to NAFF message board] [Return to Naff Home Page]

Questions or suggestions for another FAQ?  ksgrisse@hiwaay.net