Video title set size: 4293MB
Relative quality rating: 9 (1 is best)
- First Annual Summer Blockbuster Review
- Second Annual Summer Blockbuster Review
- Academy of Robots Choice Awards (aka: Vice Presidential Command Performance Oscar Special)
- The Best Made Plans (1956, 21:19)
- Better Use of Leisure Time (1950, 10:31)
- Frigidaire Finale 1957 (1957, 3:41)
- The source tape for the MST3K specials is of somewhat degraded quality, so the DVD's video looks no better. Because of the various artifacts of using a copy of an old tape, the video contains what MPEG sees as constant motion even when the image should be still. This pushed up the bit rate. To work around this, I scaled the video down to 1/2 D1 (352x480) resolution. The lower resolution can't present as sharp an image, but the image wasn't terribly sharp to begin with. The result looks ok.
- The short films are from MPEG-2 video downloaded from the Internet Moving Images Archive. All were in 368x480 resolution (quite bizarre) except Frigidaire Finale 1957, which was in 480x480 (2/3 D1) resolution.
- I scaled the short films to fit in nicely on most TV's, so I scaled them to be smaller than the valid DVD resolution I put them in, so there is some blank space around the edges of the video screen, but TV's clip most of this space from view. How is that for a run-on sentence? All are presented in the DVD resolution 720x480, except for Better Use of Leisure Time, which is in 352x240 resolution.
- Chapter marks are imperfect because of technical problems. Deal with it. But you probably want to see the whole show anyway, right? Nothing on this disk is even 25 minutes long, so just watch a whole show in one sitting. Come on, you know you want to.
I hope this root menu will make you laugh; I sure did when I thought of it, so I
had to do it. I have it here scaled to match the aspect ratio of computer
displays. It has also been compressed for use on the web.
This is the menu for the short films.