Video title set size: 3451MB
314 -- Mighty Jack
Relative quality rating: 10 (1 is best)
This is my first attempt at encoding an older MST3K episode, so it is less than perfect, but not bad.
About the movie:
- We learn that water has no density.
- We find that to be on course means to be constantly banking.
- We see that impacting water at high speeds is no big deal -- you'll be fine.
- It looks like the villain is played by two actors; one who looks a little like Peter Sellers from older film stock, and a Japanese actor filmed for this movie in darker settings to hide the difference.
- The voice actor for Harold Atari sounds just like the voice actor for Capt Goto from Patlabor 1 and 2, English dubs. The credit for Capt Goto is given to Peter Marincker, but I think they ment Marinker.
- The source tape is of somewhat degraded quality, so the DVD's video looks no better. Because of the various artifacts of using a copy of an old tape, the video contains what MPEG sees as constant motion even when the image should be still. This pushed the bit rate rather high. To work around this, I scaled the video down to 1/2 D1 (352x480) resolution. The lower resolution can't present as sharp an image, but the image wasn't terribly sharp to begin with. The result looks fine.
- Most of the "Turn down the lights" scene is missing. I'll get it next time.
- Chapter marks are imperfect because of technical problems and because the space between the show and the commercials on Comedy Central was erratic. When I get a program that can properly concatenate elementary MPEG-2 video streams, this problem will go away on future disks.